Thursday, December 28, 2006

Barack Obama will give us all the Audacity of Hope

Recently, I've been reading a lot of editorials about Obama being "exotic" but empty. As someone who is currently reading Obama's, "The Audacity of Hope", I can attest that the Illinois Senator is anything but empty. Take, for instance, this passage from the book's prologue:
I suspect that some readers may find my presentation of these issues to be insufficiently balanced. To this accusation, I stand guilty as charged. I am a Democrat, after all; my views on most topics correspond more closely to the editorial pages of the New York Times than those of the Wall Street Journal. I am angry about policies that consistently favor the wealthy and powerful over average Americans, and insist that government has and important role in opening up opportunity to all. I believe in evolution, scientific inquiry, and global warming; I believe in free speech, whether politically correct or politically incorrect, and I am suspicious of using government to impose anybody's religious beliefs - including my own - on nonbelievers. Furthermore, I am a prisoner of my own biography: I can't help but view the American experience through the lens of a black man of mixed heritage, forever mindful of how generations of people who looked like me were subjugated and stigmatized, and the subtle and not so subtle ways that race and class can shape our lives.

But that is not all that I am. I also think my party can be smug detached, and dogmatic at times. I believe in the free market, competition, and entrepreneurship, and think no small number of government programs don't work as advertised. I wish the country had fewer lawyers and more engineers. I think America has more often been a force for good than for ill in the world; I carry few illusions about our enemies, and revere the courage and competence of our military. I reject a politics that is based solely on racial identity, gender identity, sexual orientation, or victimhood generally. I think much of what ails the inner city involves a breakdown in culture that will not be cured by money alone, and that our values and spiritual life matter at least as our GDP.
I would suggest that anyone who has any doubts about the intelligence and full being of Barack Hussein Obama read this book. You'll find that there isn't enough room left in the man for any emptiness!

As long as I am dispelling this argument against Obama, let me continue with a little bit of background for the presumed candidate.

Unlike previous candidates who shied away from their early indiscretions, Obama has embraced them as examples of the struggles and confusions of a teenage boy - he said, "teenage boys are frequently confused". Where Bill Clinton admitted to smoking marijuana but claimed he "didn't inhale", Obama said on "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno", "I inhaled - isn't that the point?".

Obama studied for two years at Occidental College in California, transferred to Columbia College - where he majored in political science with a specialization in international relations. After graduation, he worked for a non-profit organization that helped local Chicago churches organize job training programs for residents of poor neighborhoods. He then went to the Harvard School of Law where he was elected president of the Harvard Law Review and obtained his Juris Doctor degree magna cum laude.

Returning to Chicago, he passed the Illinois Bar exam and went to work for the civil rights law firm of Miner, Barnhill & Galland. He also taught constitutional law at the the University of Chicago Law School, a position he continued even after being elected to represent Chicago's 13th District in the Illinois State Senate. He didn't give up his teaching position until he was elected to the US Senate in 2004.

Once Barack Obama makes an offical announcement of his intention to get the Democratic nomination for President of the united States, he will have my full backing. 'nuff said!
AddThis Social Bookmark Button

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

He supports Roe V. Wade
* He voted in favor of stem-cell research
* He extended a presumption of good faith to abortion proponents
* He supports affirmative action
* He voted against a Constitutional amendment to ban American flag burning
* He voted against a Constitutional amendment to ban same sex marriage
* He is anti-death penalty
* He supports rehabilitation for hard-core crimes such as murder
* He says he understands kids and their drug usage.
* He voted to reduce oil usage in the U.S. by 40% by the year 2025.
* He voted to ban oil drilling in the Arctic Wildlife Refuge
* He voted no on prohibiting lawsuits against gun manufacturers
* He voted no to extend the Patriot Act wiretap provisions
* He voted yes to allow illegal immigrants to receive medicade and social security.
* He voted yes to raise the minimum wage to $7.25 rather than $6.25
* He is a believer in the seperation of church and state, which is not in the Constitution
* He voted against the confirmation of Samuel Alito as Supreme Court justice
* He voted against the confirmation of Judge Roberts for Chief Justice of the Supreme Court
* He voted no to permanently repeal the "death tax."
* He voted no to extending tax cuts on capital gains and dividends
* He is in favor of increased restrictions on gun possession

2:51 PM, December 28, 2006  
Blogger yellowdogjz said...

A fine post.

I absolutely agree that the "no substance" criticism of Barack will fade completely as people focus on what's he written and said. I'm inclined to regard it as wishful thinking by his rivals -- or by those who are talking to their people and haven't done the homework of actually reading his books.

10:50 PM, January 04, 2007  
Blogger alyceclover said...

He won me with that passage you quoted from the book. (Among other things.) People are saying he just tells people what they want to hear. He did tell me what I wanted to hear in that book and I believe he wrote straight from his heart.

3:27 PM, July 13, 2007  
Blogger alyceclover said...

PS: I support Roe vs. Wade because a walking, talking female that can conceive should have more rights to life then the emboyo attached inside of her fallopian tube. A female should be allowed to flush an undeveloped cell from her body, rather then to allow it to develop, if she was raped by her father.

Roe vs. Wade gave females the legal right to safe abortions. Overturning the Supreme Court decision is turning the clock backwards to a time females were considered property with no rights. The Constitution guarantee's liberty which means freedom to choose.

Another reason I support Senator Obama versus a candidate that voted no on the Patriot Act.

3:33 PM, July 13, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home